Windows 10 comes with its own VPN client, which you can configure to quickly and securely access a private network over the internet.
The only caveat is that once you save the settings, it’s not possible to retrieve the password if you forgot it and you need this information to set up a new connection on another device. However, you can use third-party tools, such as Dialupass, to quickly recover the saved password for all virtual private network (VPN) connections.
In this guide, you’ll learn the steps to retrieve a saved password for a VPN connection on Windows 10.
How to recover VPN connection password on Windows 10
Important: Although Dialupass works as advertised, it’s still a third-party tool that is offered “AS-IS” without any warranty, and you should only use it at your own risk. The author of the app also warns that some antivirus may detect it as malicious, but it’s a false-positive alert.
To retrieve the password of a VPN connection configured on Windows 10, use these steps:
- Open Nirsoft website.
- Scroll down to the “Feedback” section and click the Download Dialupass link.
- Save the zip file on your device.
- Double-click the dialupass.zip file.
- Click the Extract all button from the “Compressed Folder Tools” tab.
- (Optional) Specify a location to extract the files.
- Check the Show extracted files when complete option.
- Click the Extract button.
- Double-click the dialupass.exe file.
- Confirm the passwords for your VPN connections.
Once you complete the steps, the passwords for all the VPN connections as well as other settings will be displayed.
You can now copy and store the passwords in a secure place.
We’re focusing this guide on Windows 10, but the tool should also work on older versions, including Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.